Here is some advice for you as you get started on your new or updated website. I have collected together articles that I have written that are particularly useful when you are starting out and also some information on suppliers that I am using and found to be good.
Advice on website design to get you started
- Whether you already have a website or not, it is useful to have a bit of structure around how you decide what your new website will look like and how it will work. Here are some hints on getting started and talking to your web designer.
- You will also want to think about where your images and other content come from. Make sure that you keep track of where you get your images and make sure you understand any copyright or royalty obligations.
- No doubt you will have heard people talking about how you make your page appear in Google Search. One of the ways to achieve this is to be aware of Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) but focus on your great content and services as a priority!
- If you are signing up for a quick start package from any company or supplier then make sure you will own the rights to the website and your domain name when you are finished. You don’t want to be tied into one supplier or find you don’t own your own website!
What suppliers do I need to create and host my website?
For even the simplest website you are going to need two things as a minimum:
- A supplier to register your domain name (www.yourcompany.com) – this registers your ownership of this name while you are paying for it and records where the website is hosted
- A supplier to host your website – this is the place where you create your web pages, images, videos etc.
It is probably good practice to have a different company for each of these although many people do choose to have the same supplier. Make sure that whoever you sign up with provides you with the flexibility to move in the future if your needs change (and does not have excessive penalties for moving away from them)
Which Domain Registrar and Domain Hosting is recommended by Peoples Geek
I have used a number of different suppliers in the past and am always looking for service, support or features. (Full disclosure – I began using these suppliers before I knew they offered an affiliate program. If you use a link below, I will receive a small financial benefit if you then purchase, but this does not change the price you would pay. I would suggest them even without this benefit to me and am completely happy if you choose not to use the links I provide – you can google their names directly if you choose)
Good Domain Registration companies
|I use Go Daddy for most of my domain names as they provide a really easy to use control panel and also offer additional checks and services to make sure my website is configured correctly||www.GoDaddy.com|
|For my UK domain names (ending in .co.uk) and for some of my clients I use Daily.co.uk, I began using them when I found that I could not transfer a .co.uk domain to Go Daddy even though I can initially register one with them. The UK system is a little different so a local supplier is well suited||www.daily.co.uk|
Good Domain Hosting companies
As I use additional services or get recommendation I will update this page to offer you more suggestions, if you would like to suggest any providers or have comments on these ones then please let me know